Thursday, March 28, 2019

Thing 5


Thing 5: Audio Tools
This has been something we have used throughout the year in math classes I work in. Each lesson is recorded and shared with students in their google classroom. The note sheets are preprinted and left blank for students to fill in.  We started at the same point unit 1 lesson 1.  We have worked our way through the year and the students are at various stages.  We have an advanced group that is starting in unit 6 and some lower level groups that are finishing up unit 4.  The students are required to go through a note section, practice problems that are recorded and then a you try section.  We encourage the kids to go back to the videos before asking teachers for assistance.  Until they receive an acceptable score on an exit ticket then continue with practice problems before moving on.
This has helped the students with pacing themselves.  We have discovered that self-pacing has been beneficial to a majority of the students by causing “competition”.  The students recognize where their peers are and most want to at least keep up, but many want to go ahead.
Reading through the articles I was looking for an audio app where the students could interact with the video when outside of class.  We have some that wanted to get ahead or missed some days so they needed to catch up.  I think it would be helpful if they could post a video question right in their lesson.  Looking through the different audio tools it appears google keep would be the best program in order to take their pic and add a audio question for the teacher. 
I also enjoy chatterpix.  I have never heard of that until I was going through thing 5.  When I need to send a message I would like to use this app with my kids.  I made a pic of our dog saying “please feed me” and showed my daughter one day.  She thought it was hilarious.  Now I want to learn how to send it to her when so the kids have a new fun way to get messages from us.

1 comment: