Saturday, March 30, 2019

Final Reflection


Final Reflection:

1) I have learned quite a bit with the Cool Tools PD.  I know that I am a much bigger fan of Google than I previously thought.  It was intimidating, there is so much that can be done and learning to use it all seems impossible.  It still seems impossible, but now seems more manageable.  Computers make me nervous and I resisted them as much as possible.  One of the biggest things I learned from going through these different tools is that playing with them is the key to learning how they work and what they can actually do. 

I have not implemented the student safety portion that I learned about, but I do plan (and I have a note in google keep) to roll something out to my school based planning team to do so for next fall.  Something more in depth than a paper with a internet use agreement on it.

The kids are working more with slides and less with power point.  It seems that it has become enjoyable for them because there are more tools for them to create with.  This project of making a timeline with their DBQ has been great.  It takes a relatively mundane assignment and adds tech, creativity and collaboration to it.

2) I am excited to contact parents about the sharing notes.  It will save phone calls and keep them more in the loop.  I already have notes with important upcoming dates and assignments that I am looking forward to sharing.  Not only will it be less work than making copies and sending them home, but it should be more efficient as well. 

As for the other items I looked at I will continue to build on the implementation that I started.  It is awesome that google is so interactive.  It makes collaboration so much easier and efficient.

3) I was horrible with procrastinating on this session.  I got involved with a book reading PD and it is taking forever because I am not overly interested in the book.  I have to read and re-read over and over to get the authors message and it is overwhelming me.

This PD was great. I like that it is on my time and is flexible.  For instance not having to cover all the aspects of each tool and spending time with what interested me kept me engaged.  Also, I am computer illiterate and have a bit of tech-phobia, Cool Tools has opened me up to playing with technology and exploring what can be done.

I hope I can do next years because I did two sessions this year.  And I have many colleagues that I recommended it to and they are enjoying this as well.

For the future I would ask, can I do the same tool again and look at other things that I didn’t have time for this time through?

1 comment:

  1. You've hit on one of the major outcomes for this workshop, gaining confidence to explore tools and figure out how they work by playing with them. Well done!

    As for next year, I'm retiring at the end of this school year, so I won't be running Cool TOols anymore. RCSD is looking into ways to continue it in some form though.

    ReplyDelete